Many cultural goods, material and non material are testifying to the rich history of Lastovo island.
In the middle of the southern side of the island of Lastovo, at the entrance to the bay of Skrivena Luka lies the Cape of Struga where the lighthouse of the same name was built in 1839.
The lighthouse lies at the height of 70 m, at the very edge of a steep cliff that offers a splendid view of the open sea. The total capacity is 14 persons divided in four apartments for 2-5 persons. It is heated and open all year long.
Ss.Cosmo and Damian
This parochial church, dedicated to two physician-saints, the brothers Ss.Cosmo and Damian, is built below Dovac, at the place since ancient times used by the people of Lastovo as the meeting place , as the village square. The first church, the traces of which are lost, was firstly enlarged in the second half of the 15th century by the builders of Lastovo,Dubrovnik and Korčulas certified by the inscription stating the builder’s name and the year, cut in two church semi-piers: “Built by Radosan in May of 1473”. The facade of the new, single-nave, church was topped with a triple bell cot, whereas at its main altar was the paintings of St.Blaise and the Ss.Cosmo and Damian.
Rector’s Palace was a royal residence built on the most prominent site in the village – on location beyond the place and the parish church ,at the foot of the castle on Glavica. It was under reconstruction many times but remains one of the most beautiful house on Lastovo.
The oldest evidences of the man’s existence on the island found in the Rača cave are dated to the fourth millennium BC. The excavations in Rača situated in the south-eastern part of the island , near Skrivena luka, revealed a human settlement inhabited from early Stone age till the Roman epoque. The large number of artefacts of the Neolithic Hvar Culture indicate continuous use of Rača over a long “pre-historic” period of time,whereas in the late Bronze Age the cave was probably inhabited only occasionally.
In the cave was found an, even for the east Adriatic area unique,double-bladed razor, round shaped with a cross engraved in the middle.
Rača cave is the only cave on the island in which you can go without fear, it is easy to enter, only bring a flash light !
The Statute of Lastovo, a book of rules and customs of the Assembly and Municipality of the island of Lastovo, was adopted at a public gathering in Lastovo seven hundred years ago. The book begins with the oath of the Dubrovnik Commune that it would respect all ancient customs of the island’s inhabitants, who had voluntarily surrendered to the Commune of the City of Dubrovnik. A set of 30 provisions, adopted in the first edition of the Statute that year, clearly describes the labor and social relations within the island’s community.
In the central part of Lastovo town, 50 m after the main church gallery Stranj is located. A collection of items used in every day’s life of Lastovo people will take you back to the history. Costumes, dishes, paintings….are just a small portion of things that you can see in this little gallery. Don’t miss it, you can visit it every day from 08-16 h.
Lastovo town had a relatively modest system of fortifications and the castle on Glavica represents the most important one. This caste was destroyed after the first rebellion against Dubrovnik’s republic in 1607 but in 1808 the French built the new one in which today we have a meteorological station with the most beautiful view of the town.
The Old Basilica
Archaeological site – The Old Christian Basilica of St.Peter
The basilica is 17 m in length and 6.75 m in width, oriented west-east. It is built in undressed stone with mortar. It had a semicircular apse, strengthened with buttresses from outside. Indoor, along the wall, there was a polychrome stone bench. The sanctuary was surrounded with thin marble slabs, inserted into grooves cut in elegant stone columns, preserved in fragments only. Among the entrance door stone fragments, there has been found a relief with triangular ending, now kept in the Archaeological Museum in Zadar. Fragments of the window – a marble chequered latticework, have been found as well. Such building characteristics indicate the basilica to have been built in the 6th century. Interestingly, the entrance door was placed laterally, accessed from the narthex, a yard with a six columns porch, in the western corner of which was a built tomb. At its southern side, the basilica had four rooms, the central ones have been found sarcophagi and tombs cut in the rock.